Earlier this month torrential rains began to fall in Chimbote, Peru, lasting more than eight hours. This is the worst rain emergency in over 40 years. Thousands of homes have been damaged bringing devastation to men, women, and children already living in extreme poverty.
The relentless rain has caused roof to leak and estera roofs to collapse destroying the families’ belongings. Much of the water is mixed with sewage causing health concerns.
Thousands of homes will require repair costing several thousand dollars. On the average it costs $1400 to repair even one estera home and hundreds of dollars are needed to provide mattresses and the other important basic needs that all humans need to survive.
ACAF, our Chimbote NGO partner, is on the ground feeding, sheltering, providing critical supplies, stabilizing homes where possible, and providing strength and confidence during the devastation. They are also assessing the damages and needs for recovery.
The government’s need to dedicate resources to infrastructure repair will reduce the very limited resources that may have been available to the poor.
We are their hope and their lifeline.
The needs of the poor will be enormous over the coming weeks and months. Please help the people of Chimbote affected by this disaster by donating and sending prayers.
- Financial contributions are needed NOW. To donate click the DONATE button on our homepage. In the comment section note “Chimbote Disaster Relief”.
- To donate by mail send your check payable to Friends of Chimbote, PO Box 717, West Fargo, ND 58078 noting it is for “Chimbote Disaster Relief”.
- Call Friends of Chimbote office with your credit card information to make an immediate contribution at 701-364-0162.
- Help us spread the word of the urgent need for donations by sharing this story with you friends and by sharing our Facebook postings.
- Please pray for those in Chimbote who at this moment do not have roofs over their heads, a bed to sleep in, or dry clothing to wear.